The purpose of the Climate Change Action Plan is to achieve a carbon neutral position for the Council by 2040, or earlier, by reducing our carbon footprint.
The Action Plan will also be used to encourage others to adopt a similar approach. Whilst this is primarily an EDDC plan it recognises the influence we have on partners, contractors and stakeholders who share our ambitions. We have an ambition to reduce our carbon use at every opportunity and work towards the Think Globally – Act Locally aspiration that is still relevant today.
The themes in this plan where the Council can make meaningful climate change interventions include:
- Energy supply and consumption
- Permitting and encouraging low carbon development
- Improving the carbon footprint of existing buildings (public and private sector)
- Protecting and enhancing the natural environment
- Water supply and flood protection
- Transport and travel
- Purchasing and consumption
- Community resilience
- Education, communication and influencing behaviour.
We need to be brave and bold if we are genuinely committed to reducing our carbon footprint, and ensuring residents and business adopt similar aspirations.
We propose undertaking five yearly reviews to update and refresh the plan. This Action Plan is about social and organisational responsibility, lifestyle change and consideration for future generations.